Signs/symptoms: Hard lump under skin, may be warm to touch, hair loss on lump, may have appearance of a large pimple, may be deep open wound with drainage or discharge.
Causes: Bacterial infection in wound that does not drain properly, thus preventing healing.
1. Carefully remove all hair over and surrounding the abscess
2. Clean the surface on and around the abscess with an antiseptic scrub (such as betadine scrub)
3. Use a sterile lancet to carefully open the abscess
4. Use a large syringe without a needle to flush the abscess with hydrogen peroxide, Betadine scrub, or a mixture of the two until the abscess is completely clean
5. Fill the abscess with Panalog Cream, Nolvasan Ointment, or other antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin
6. Place warm, damp compresses on the abscess for 5 to 10 minutes, 2 to 3 times a day, and reapply ointment
7. Open the abscess (remove any scab) id necessary to clean and reapply ointment once a day until healed. This allows the abscess to heal from the inside